Sunday, August 23, 2009

irrationalizing rational fear

Following our Thanksgiving trip, our lives resumed to their normal busy routines. A week after the trip, it dawned on me for a moment that I had not felt the baby moving around much. Granted, it had not been long since I had first started feeling the flutters to begin with. I had friends who had freaked out over their babies not moving and everything turned out fine. I told myself that I was not going to obsess about this and be that crazy mom. In passing though I mentioned the lack of movement to my mom, who assured me that the baby was probably napping as babies do. I also told my sister in conversation, who said she had a similar experience while she was pregnant with her now three week old baby. So this is a common irrational thought had by pregnant ladies, I concluded. When I told my husband, he suggested that if I were concerned that I should call the doctor. But I had an appointment scheduled in just a couple of days. We felt confident that everything was ok. So I put the fear out of my head.

A few days later I was on the way to my appointment when my sister rang. We were on our way to say hi to our baby, I told her. Saying hi to our healthy baby while watching him/her move around on the sono is all I thought we were going to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment